Winter is coming in Brazil and the temperatures are dropping. This means harsh conditions for those who are sleeping rough, including many homeless dogs.
One bus station has opened up some old facilities in Curitiba, a small city 400 kilometers south of Sao Paulo.
The acts of the staff at the bus station went viral after being posted by local politician Fabiane Rosa.
“I never tire of praising the … volunteers who provide these angels, a warm bed in the cold, food every day, fresh water, security,” Rosa wrote on Facebook.
Rosa added; “Congratulations to the terminal staff, everyone understands that these angels are there and have a right to be. So many companies in Curitiba could follow this example, adopting a pet. Of course it is not the ideal, but at least there are those who are looking after them.”
It’s becoming a common sight to see more businesses extending facilities for homeless dogs and cats. There are also charities who work to support animals that belong to homeless people.
Rover.com also posted 15 ways in which people can help and assist homeless dogs in their area. Ideas include the following:
- 1. Educate Yourself About Homeless Pets
- 2. Consider Adopting a Homeless Dog
- 3. Become a Sponsor
- 4. Provide Foster Care for Dogs
- 5. Volunteer for Pet Health
- 6. Volunteer Unique Skills
- 7. Inspire Others to Volunteer
- 8. Connect Kids with Dogs
- 9. Donate to Help Homeless Pets
- 10. Organize a Drive for Homeless Dogs
- 11. Use Your Social Network
- 12. Become a Collection Site
- 13. Fund Rescue Groups
- 14. Start an Advocacy Brigade
- 15. Make a Lifelong Commitment to Dogs